A week of Girls Camp has come and passed... Another 4th year hike of 6 miles completed (and finding out that my cheapy e-bay backpackers tent has holes in it and broken poles from last years fiasco of flying out of Brother Dick's truck), a rock wall conquered, a zip line flown... And a well deserved shower / scrub / shave and slept in my own bed last night. NOT to mention, the return of my puppy!!
I have been a rope's course facilitator now since 2006, and have known the power behind team work and the spiritual nature that is gained through accomplishing Copes. I've been on many different courses (California State University, Monterey Bay's; Happy Valley Conference Center; Sanctuary Rock Gym; Camp Wehinepay's Cope Course), and KNOW the exhileration felt after accomplishing such feats. I've seen many a person receive such emotions. This last climb meant a lot to me. My husband has recently been sent off; I had to run my 1-year old puppy to the vet, thinking she would need surgery, after being turned away from every vet in Clovis; I thought I was going to miss out on Young Women's Camp this year, something I had been looking forward to since LAST year; The stress of my job at the Child Development Center, and whether I should quit or not (which I think I will not, because I need to stay busy, and CAN handle the job, AND the stress).
When I climbed that wall, and got half way up, my arms became so dead and weak, I was worried that I wasn't going to be able to make it. But, I wanted that zip line sooo bad. I LOVE zip line!! Absolutely LOVE it. My legs were shaking, and all I could do was watch as my body became sooo tired with exhaustion, and think to myself, this is the physical nature of the last couple of weeks of emotions that I've been going through... AND, I WILL get past this!!! I was SOOO close to the top... I was within reach of the nest, and felt I wasn't going to be able to crawl up, my arms were so tired. But, the Rope's Course Facilitator told me that there was a lip, a way for me to catch on to the nest... and I crawled up. At this point, I was hyperventilating... not because I was scared, but because I was so tired, and hurting so bad, but happy that I made it, with the help and encouragement of the girl's down below. When it came time for me to be able to connect to that zip line, and slide myself off that nest, I was off in a jiffy. There was no waiting, there was no pause... just relief... If felt sooo good to soar, to feel nothing beneath me...
Many people believe that General Conference is their dose of spiritual renewal... something they get twice a year. For me, YW Camp is my third, and much needed dose. There were a few obstacles that tried to keep me from going this year, but between fasting, Temple name boxes, Bishop blessings, and good friends/family, and an awesome veteriarian... I had it made. I appreciate everything all of these people did for me to make it possible, for how they paid attention to these needs... I'm grateful for not only these friends who helped me in this great time of need, but for my mom, who though she may not even be a member of the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-Day Saints, knew how much goin to camp meant to me, and how upset I'd be if I wouldn't have been able to make it, really encouraged me to make things work so that I could! And for this, Mom, you are an incredible inspiration. You helped to raise a kooky, quirky, wierd, Camp leader, that somehow inspires Young Women to become better individuals, and enjoy the great outdoors at the same time. I love you!


No comments:
Post a Comment